Wednesday, September 20, 2006

So Far So Good….

Monday was my first treatment on AMG-655, a new clinical drug targeted to kill colon cancer cells. Unbelievably, I had ZERO side affects. If you are not familiar with my situation, I have had many challenges with chemo in the past year and a half. Basically put, it is toxic to me. The only way I can begin to describe the feeling is like getting the flu every two weeks. It’s put me in the emergency room more than once, and made me sick for days on end. I have a cloudy memory of 2005. “If the cancer doesn’t kill, then the chemo will” is a statement I have said many times in the past. Hopefully this is behind me. After a one hour drip and six hours of observation, they sent me to the hotel Monday evening and a short list of possible side affects. My mood was cautious, just waiting for what would certainly be another side affect that would make me feel terrible. It is simply a conditioned response. Thankfully nothing bad happened. Another prayer answered.

I mentioned in my last posting that I had a surprise in store for the weekend. After 19 days away from my family and living in a hotel, I made last minute plans to fly home. My wife and oldest daughter knew I was coming home, but we kept it a secret from my youngest daughter. Through the generosity of Corporate Angel Network, I was able to fly back to Charlotte on a private jet, once again the only passenger on a six seat jet. I was a rock star for a day! This is so cool. We arrived at the hanger in Charlotte around 10PM and Brookie was SO surprised. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. This is why I am fighting so hard to beat this damned disease. We had a fantastic weekend together as a family, spending Saturday touring Franklin Street in Chapel Hill and having lunch at Mama Dips – nothing like down home southern cooking. Sunday was spent at church updating folks on my trip to Houston and packing for my return trip. A very good friend and golfing buddy of mine offered to accompany me back to Houston. We met at his home Sunday evening and staying near the Raleigh airport Sunday night. A 4:30AM wake up call had us ready for a 6:30AM flight on Southwest Airlines. I was literally home for only a day and a half, but it was well worth the time spent flying back and forth to Houston.

This week is mainly lab work to see how the clinical drug is affecting my body. I have two more treatments over the next four weeks, then scans at week seven to see what progress is made against the tumors in my lungs. PRAY for positive results. God bless you all. I should be able to return home after treatment a week from Monday. I am looking forward to the trip back home in a big way.

Till next time, Brian…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home