Thursday, August 17, 2006

Ask and ye shall receive....

Holy cow, the response to our request for help re: the financial burden of my trip to Houston has been overwhelming. I cannot begin to tell you how many folks have stepped up and made donations. Some give money, some offer meals, others offer help with the kids and things around the house, still others are donating airline miles for free airfare, etc. Above all, I continue to get words of encouragement from so many of you, people saying they are praying for me and my family. Needless to say, we are blessed beyond comparison; this has been a humbling experience. One of our neighbors made a good point, which was "we never really knew what to do for you until now" and man has that ever been the case. Thank you to everyone that has offered help with so many different things.

I am beginning to realize that my situation is deceptive. People tell me I look great. On the outside I look okay, I feel great, and I don't look like I'm fighting a chronic, deadly disease. When I'm not on chemo (like right now) I look like your "average Joe", healthy and vibrant. My hair is growing back, I feel strong and energetic. However, left unchecked there will be a time when the cancer will win the battle. Such is the reason for taking this trip to Houston.

I had someone ask me today if I'm "okay", am I scared? Honestly? I'm not at all scared. I don't fear death like I did 2+ years ago. When you look death in the eye and get to meet it face to face, you realize that your worst enemy is your own negative imagination. How many times does Jesus address those in the bible by saying "oh ye of little faith..." I find myself doubting my faith at times, and I quickly realize that thoughts like these are counterproductive, they drain the mind and soul of positive energy, and are downright ridiculous. Easier said than done sometimes, but I encourage each and every one of you to stay strong in your faith and be positive. Keep your chin up and FIGHT. Don't let negative people pull you down. Certainly there will be times when you want to give up. Turn to your bible, turn to a good friend or family member, do something that will bring you up. The path to power is through the test. Look what God did for Gideon in the book of Judges. He turned a loser into a leader. If you aren't familiar with the story, read it. If you have questions, please ask me about it. Good stuff.

Tune in to the blog often in about 2 weeks. I plan on posting daily updates regarding my time at MD Anderson, complete with photo's, etc. The creative juices are beginning to flow again...I'll keep you posted.

Till next time...Brian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home