Monday, August 14, 2006

When is he going to update this &%$@! blog?

Hello to all family, friends, and acquaintances >> a quick update on me and a call for help.

After literally months of phone calls, faxes, and emails, I have been "accepted" as a new patient at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, TX. MD Anderson is a world renowned cancer center, and is a focal point of clinical research in new treatments for all forms of cancer. I haven't sent out an update lately or updated the blog because there has been a fair amount of uncertainty and things haven't been going in the right direction regarding treatment. My last 2 scans have shown slow yet gradual progress in the growth of the spots on my lungs and the 2-3 lymph nodes that are cancerous. Had those spots in my lungs been around when I was first diagnosed, I would be at a Stage 4. What does that mean? A 4% chance of being alive in 5 years. NOT very good odds. However, I was a Stage 3-C when I was first diagnosed, which means I have a 44% chance of survival in 5 years. Colon cancer is akin to terrorists. They lurk hidden behind the scenes, scheming their evil plans until BOOM you get hit. The only difference is cancer doesn't discriminate, it goes after anyone, at any age, at any time. Some of you have asked "why MD Anderson?" I really can't answer that question. Some of it is just a gut feeling; someone told me about MD Anderson, and I went online well over a year ago and started learning more about who they are and what they have to offer. Some of it is probably divine intervention. God has a plan for me, He hasn't fully revealed it to me yet, so I continue to move forward and do what I feel is the right thing to do. Plus, Houston in August is simply fabulous...if you like sweltering heat and humidity that feels like a steam bath! Go figure....

I will be leaving for Houston at the end of this month, with my first appointment being on Sept. 1. I will be staying in Houston for 2 weeks, undergoing tests, evaluations, etc. The goal is to be accepted into a clinical trial for colon cancer. My current treatment therapy is now in recycle mode. I'm back to taking chemotherapy drugs that I took over a year ago. Nothing is really working that well, and we are trying to do what we can to mix it up and find a blend that will either keep the growth at bay, reduce the size of the tumors and spots, or (ideally) go into remission. Many of you ask how I feel and tell me I look great. Well, when I'm not on chemo, I feel fantastic. Treatment every 2 weeks; feel crappy for one week, feel better for the second week, then back to treatment again...it's a vicious cycle that takes a physical and mental toll on the body. However - I'm off chemo for now because you have to be off treatment for at least 30 days to get into a clinical trial. Almost like getting a month of detox and a mini vacation to boot! There is a remote chance I will get into a clinical trial while in Houston. If that's the case, then I'm in Texas for 10 weeks straight. If not on this trip, then hopefully I will return at some point in the near future to find the magic cure. If you are of the praying type, thank you for the continued prayers. If you aren't of the praying type, keep your fingers crossed and call me sometime in the first 2 weeks of September. I'm going to have a lot of free time on my hands. I try to work as much as possible while going thru treatment. My employer continues to blow me away with their support. Even though I'm not able to work full time, they still treat me like a full time employee. This is probably part of God's plan that is quickly becoming evident as time goes on.

Now for a call for help. This first 2 week trip is going to cost close to $3,000. A generous and anonymous person has offered to pay for my lodging while in Houston, which will be close to $1,500. I will most likely be driving to Texas because I don't want to be without a car while I'm out there. Plus, I may have the opportunity to visit friends in Austin and Dallas over the 2 weekends I will be out there. This still leaves at least $1,500 that I will need to fund the trip. And this does not come close to covering the costs of an additional 8 weeks. That will cost another $5,000 plus the possible air fare to fly the kids out to see me at least once. And of course there are still the month to month expenses that we all endure. Needless to say, this whole ordeal has drained us financially. Kimberly may or may not make this trip. The kids start back to school on August 25. I (we?) leave just a few days after that, and both of the kids are going to new schools this year. So we are undecided at this point on how best to deal with this. Kimberly's one concern is what to do if I go to Houston for 8 weeks. Both of us being away from the kids for that long is almost impossible. Eight weeks from mid September is Thanksgiving. Furniture market and other day-to-day household chores won't stop if I'm in Texas. Kimberly has a twice a year job during market with a great company, with the fall market coming up in October. That income is essential to our family. We may also be asking for help with the other "stuff" that goes on in a typical household. As you can see, there are many challenges with this scenario, so keep this in your prayers on how best to handle this if it becomes a reality.

If you are able to donate money to help offset the costs of this trip(s), I sincerely appreciate your generosity. If not, I still appreciate the prayers, phone calls, emails, letters of encouragement - you name it. I'm still amazed at the notes I get in the mail from people and churches that I have no idea who they are or where they're from. But they are praying for me and this is what lifts me up and helps me get thru the tough days. The days you feel good are easy. Believe me when I tell you, once you go thru a life changing event like this, you sincerely appreciate the simple things in life. Going outside and watching the birds flock around the bird feeder is entertainment. Laying in bed and agonizing over the affects of chemo makes ANYTHING seem better than having these hazardous chemicals flowing thru your veins.

I plan on doing daily updates while in Texas, so check back often. This will make it easy for everyone to track my progress.

As always, thanks to everyone for your support and prayers. We all appreciate it. Brian.

PS-if you wish to send a donation, send me an email and I will give you our address. Click on the little envelope link below.

PPS-leave a comment for me so I know you visited the blog...go to the Comment link below. Thanks.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian,
My prayers and thoughts go to you and your family. I cannot imagine what you are going through.

I will make sure everyone reads this here at Gregory Grier.

I really appreciate our friendship. Will talk to you soon!
Dennis

7:42 AM, August 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian,
Your the strongest man I know. Hang in there and stay positive(like you always do).

6:23 PM, August 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian,
God is definitely working through you as you touch many lives with your courage and peace about His will in your life. I pray for you and especially for your family. I pray that your financial burdens will be lessened beacause of this plea. Take care and know that you are in my prayers and my "Glory Girls" Bible Study.
Ann Buchanan

1:16 PM, August 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update! Our prayers are with you and your family. Stay strong minded through God. Perhaps you will find some "Texas Tea"
Best Wishes - Paul Estes

7:49 PM, August 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian,
We'll send up prayers for your acceptance into a clinical trial in Houston and that great things come from their work. Your spirit is an inspiration to all of us. Keep the faith....Isaiah 26:3. Look forward to seeing you when you return.
Bob Schanz

7:05 AM, August 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian,
I worked with you for a short time at CEXP in G'boro. I am sorry you must endure this but wish you success with the treatment possibilities in Houston. You wil be in my prayers.
Sandra Nash

8:56 AM, August 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian,

I don't think I have ever known anyone braver, stronger or more positive than you. I am praying for you and Kimberly and the kids. I know that God is holding all of you in His hand.

I will be in touch.

Sally Turner

9:28 AM, August 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your positive attitude and energy continues to inspire me! I know this is a very difficult time for you all, but know you have a lot of people on your side sending prayers. Continue to be positive and best of luck in Houston!
Susan

12:27 PM, August 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brian,
My prayers are with you and your family everyday. God continues to use you to speak his words and bring people closer to him . Please email me your address . I would like to send a donation. Blessings, Melissa Allen

1:48 PM, August 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home