Sunday, May 20, 2007

Give me some oxygen, PLEASE….

Well, it has taken a couple of weeks to write this post. The emotions and the tears flowed heavily after my trip to Sloan Kettering. And I also had this cloud of fear constantly over my head. What was the fear about? Telling my kids that I do in fact only have a short time to live. I feared they would break down crying. I imagined them taking the news in a very bad way. Boy was I wrong. Kids are so resilient, plus we have been very open about my prognosis. Both of them had a yes I know response. Both of them understand exactly what is going on and that my time with them is limited. We have worked hard to give our kids the gift of salvation and to know the Lord. Man is it paying off big time.

The outpouring of response from my Preparing to Die post has been overwhelming. I haven’t been able to respond to everyone yet. My lung capacity continues to shrink, making simple conversation a difficult chore. Thank goodness for email and this blog. It is so easy to communicate with everyone via the written word versus having a conversation. This brings me to my next update. My physical ability is so limited now. How so? Walking up a flight of stairs is darn near impossible. I now have to sit on the bottom step, with my back facing the steps, and “rear end” my way up the stairs over a two or three minute process. Walk outside to get the newspaper? Thank goodness my driveway is only about 50 feet long. Run around the house terrorizing the dogs while everyone else laughs? No more. Go hiking with Brookie in the mountains. Unfortunately, those days are gone. Play a round of golf with friends? Never again. This has been one of the difficult mental obstacles to overcome. I have so much time on my hands now, so I tend to sit and think about all the fun stuff I have done in my life. Brooke and I love to go hiking. It is classic daddy/daughter time, plus we both love nature and the outdoors. I can’t do that anymore. Dammit, that thought makes me very angry and sad at the same time. I am being robbed of my ability to enjoy my family. That’s not fair! BINGO! Poor, pitiful me. You selfish idiot. Why can’t you relish the fact that you WERE able to enjoy these things in your life? Do you not understand there are some people who will never go hiking, who will never see a beautiful mountain stream, and never be able to enjoy God’s wonders? Sometimes I feel so stupid. I really do have to work on getting away from the selfish junk and being thankful that God has blessed me in so many ways. The reality angel that sits on my right shoulder can really give it to me sometimes.

Another mental obstacle that I have finally succumbed to is the fact that I need a wheelchair to get around. Truth be told, I simply cannot walk more than 50 feet without getting winded. The wheelchair makes it so much easier to get around, plus it’s a real snazzy new model. Lot’s of bling,ya know? I also got a handicapped placard for my Suburban. Although I may not live to be 90 years old, I sure do feel like it now! I’m also very dependent on oxygen. When your oxygen content in the bloodstream gets below 90% you become oxygen starved. This causes panic, anxiety, disorientation, restlessness, shakyness in my speech, etc. When this happens, I feel like a fish out of water. Panic is the first thing to set in, and then I realize I can’t do anything to help myself. This turns into a very precarious situation resulting in a panicked frenzy. Kimberly will get the oxygen machine turned on and puts the tubing in my nostrils. Then she sets up the morphine nebulizer. Ah yes, the morphine nebulizer. It’s a little machine that takes small amounts of morphine and saline and turns them into a mist, which is then inhaled through a pipe. This is starting to sound like illegal drug activity, eh?!? The morphine calms down the lungs by changing the way it processes oxygen. Simply put, it helps me to breath once again. Lately I have been taking 3-4 morphine treatments a day. The events leading up to the treatments tend to be very frenzied to say the least. Never a dull moment.

I am amazed at how quickly my health is deteriorating. To give you an example, I went to Florida to play golf with some buddies of mine just one month ago. Today, that trip would be impossible. My goal now is to make it to July. We have a family vacation scheduled in June to visit the Hard Rock Hotel in Orlando once again. We love the Hard Rock and we get the rock star treatment every time we go there due to the fact we have gotten to know so many people on staff. Fun stuff and great memories.

I visited the onc this week because one of the hospice nurses thought I have fluid in my lungs. This is not good because it can lead to pneumonia. So my onc called me in for a chest x-ray. There is no fluid, so that’s good news. But man if you could see the x-ray. My lungs are littered with cancerous spots that show up white on the film. How am I even breathing at all? After Kimberly and I left the cancer center, she mentioned am I okay with my decision not to continue chemo. I guess the chemo was keeping the cancer from growing too fast was her comment. It’s funny, I’ve had a lot of advice and opinions from a lot of people on what I should do. Very few are in line with what I have chosen. Allow me to explain. When I was diagnosed with cancer, I made a conscious decision to give everything to God; all my pain, my cancer, my suffering, everything. In return I agreed to be a faithful servant to the Lord and glorify him in all I do. When people offer up their ideas of ways to help “cure” my cancer, I simply smile. Most think I am crazy for not taking their advice. What they don’t understand is I remain steadfast and faithful to my God. He has a plan for me. He has revealed that plan to me over time. He has blessed me in ways I simply cannot comprehend or try to explain. Psalm 55:22 is the best way to explain how I feel.

Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.

Don’t get me wrong. I appreciate the comments and suggestions of others. It shows compassion and goodwill. I am forever indebted to those who have done so much for me and my family and continue to offer help and assistance. As for me though, I chose to cast my cares on the Lord.

Till next time, Brian….

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian, we continue to think about you and pray for you and your family. I want you to get away for that rock star treatment next month. Peace, from your fellow mountaineers joan & david

7:07 PM, May 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian,
Thanks for continuing to show us all how faith in God can lead us through difficult times. Your fellow golfers all shared a toast in your name last week! Keep your spikes on and we'll keep praying for God's will in your life.
DJ

8:50 AM, May 22, 2007  
Blogger Anna Gaither said...

Hi Brian, It has been such a long time since I have seen you. I work in Greensboro and was surprised to hear that you are here too...not exactly like being neighbors, is it? Do you remember how you helped me take out the trash and stuff when Jimmy and I split? I do--you were a great kid and after reading your blog, I am sure you are a fine man.
You have such a beautiful and loving family. I am thinking of you and praying that God will take care of you and them. Please give my best to Nadine and Dick. Anna Gaither

10:45 AM, May 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian,

You are so brave and amazing! You're right, God has a plan for all of us and we need to continue to put our trust in Him. We've missed you at the HP Walk the last two years, but you were certainly in our thoughts while we were walking! It's not the same without you and your family. I will keep you, Kimberly and your girls in my prayers. Maggie Henning

10:25 AM, May 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian,
I continue to be amazed by your faith and courage - you are such a lesson to us all and for that I am grateful that our paths crossed! Your Storr family talks about you often and continues to pray for you and your family. There is a great poem called "A Reason, A Season or a Lifetime", I hope you know it as I truely believe you had a Reason in my life - to remind always to count my blessings and to focus on the positives in my life and for that I thank you! You will continue to be in my prayers and I look forward to reading of your trip to Orlando - you certainly deserve the rock star treatment! :) Best Regards,Susan

12:01 PM, May 29, 2007  
Blogger Anita said...

Dear Brian,

We have never met but one day we will. Jessica is a good friend of mine and her mom wanted me to read your story.Thank God for true friends! I have been dealing with many ostacles in my life and I have allowed depression to set in. I have been sing the poor pitiful me blues much too long now.

After reading you words God spoke to me and said " I have always been there for you. I have never let you down! Why do you doubt Me now?" Why indeed? So I got down on my knees and prayed and sobbed and prayed some more. I know things will not get better over night but I do have The Ultimate Power to bring me through.
I just wanted to say thank you for your words and your courage. You will never know just how many lives you have touched.
You and your family are in my prayers.

Until we meet for the first time in heaven, your sister in Christ,
Anita Martin

8:31 AM, June 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian, Since your recent posting in May, you and your family continue to be in our daily prayers. You provide so much inspiration to so many people. Love Ya Man! PE

10:42 AM, June 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian, You don't know me but after reading your journey, it made me finally decide it was time for me to stop smoking ( I know you didnt smoke) but I've been praying for the Lord to help me to have mercy on me. It seemed I had no control and I couldnt make my mind up to stop smoking knowing it's actually killing me. After reading your jourey has helped me finally make that step it has been 3 days now and each time it comes to my mind that to smoke I think of you. To know that you would give anything to have your health back and here I was taking my health each time I smoked. So thank you for sharing your story. The bible says that our life is like a vapor, so 50 years of my life has been like that I dont know where it has gone but I thought when I turned 50 I want to make the rest of my life count in some way. I want my life to count in the smallest of ways maybe just by telling someone that everything will be Okay or maybe just a smile to a homeless person. Just like you sharing your story you probably will never know the lifes you will touch. Hey who knows it might have been just for ME. I do believe the smallest of things in our lifes God knows and he cares. I will pray that you will keep on keeping on for the Lord and thank you again for sharing. I pray that all will be peaceful in all you do. Marsha Dunn
P.S. Jessica is my lovely daughter.If you see her get her to sing a song for you. Dont tell her I said that HA!HA!

6:50 PM, June 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home